As the sector reopens, growing to-do lists mean that now might not be the time for a deep dive into data.
So, in a time of change when understanding our audiences is more important than ever, here are some top tips for quickly assessing the information that might make all the difference.
Identify your audiences’ most important considerations around returning.
For any organisation using Show Stats. Takes 30 minutes. (once your production requests have been approved by the host venue)
- First, look at the Audience Spectrum breakdown of your audiences in Show Stats. You can run an annual audience report for free, or group similar productions or productions by venue for a more specific approach at a small charge.
- Identify the 3 profiles that make up most of your audience.
- Then, for some useful context, head over to our key information on how best to engage with each group. You can find this by selecting the profiles you’re interested in exploring here, and scrolling down to the How to Engage section, under the More on [chosen segment] heading.
- Finally, open our overview of Audiences Through Covid-19: Insights into Audience Spectrum segments' changed behaviour and attitudes to arts, culture and heritage engagement through the crisis. Read the information for your 3 focus segments.
Keep these considerations at the forefront of your thinking when planning for reopening:
- Which of your audience groups will need the most attention over the next 6 months?
- Are any groups unlikely to return in person right away?
- If so, what are your plans for keeping them engaged until they are ready?
- Does your new programme of activity meet the needs of all your core groups?
- Does your planned marketing activity address their main motivations for returning?
- What could your audiences perceive as a barrier to attending? (e.g. lack of parking for those uneasy about public transport.)
Post these actions, look to open up a conversation with your tour venues to address any key concerns and approach solutions collaboratively.
Look at the audience landscape at each of your tour locations to identify opportunities.
Takes 30 minutes.
- If you haven’t already, set up a free user account for Audience Finder here.
- Once logged in, select National Data > Mapping from the side menu.
- Type in your tour locations and use the dropdown box below to toggle between different Audience Spectrum types, to see a heatmap of the distribution of each type of audience in the area you’re performing or exhibiting work.
- Note which types of audiences are most prevalent, particularly within the groups that are most likely to engage with arts and culture: Metroculturals, Commuterland Culturebuffs and Experience Seekers.
Set up a rolling survey to monitor who is coming to see your work (and why) and adapt your tactics as you go.
Takes 15 minutes.
- Set up a free Audience Finder survey to stay on top of changes in your audience makeup. Request your survey setup here.
- Your survey will comprise of our core questions, plus 5 additional questions of your choice from our premium questions list if you wish. More information here.
For optimum results, use a methodology that provides you with a steady stream of responses throughout your tour (for example an e-survey sent to attendees via an automated post-show email from the venue or an e-survey accessed by visitors through a QR code on-site). New survey responses are updated to your Audience Finder dashboard on a weekly basis, allowing you to monitor results and adapt your engagement tactics as you go.